Winding through an area of Southern Germany, you’ll discover the attractive Romantic Road, or Romantische Straße, as it’s described in German. Covering 285 miles (460 km), Germany’s Romantic Road will take you through historical captivating towns and past a few of the most beautiful country-sides in all of Bavaria.
From charming German homes to fairy tale castles, this beautiful German byway will link you to a variety of gorgeous sights. Whether you are wanting to invest 4 days or a week driving Germany’s Romantic Road, something is for sure, you will not fail on locations to check out and see. This Romantic Road Germany schedule takes you on a 5-day road trip through middle ages towns, fairy tale castles and gorgeous countryside.
Romantic Road Germany Planning Tips
Where Does Germany’s Romantic Road Start & & Finish?
While this path can be done 2 methods, North to South or South to North, the most popular method to take on the Romantic Road is beginning in the North. Strategy to begin your journey in the town of Wurzburg and surface in the town of Fussen, which lies beside the renowned castle that motivated Walt Disney, Neuschwanstein Castle.
Map of Romantic Road Germany
The above map reveals you the path of Germany’s Romantic Road. You can follow the link to get to the interactive map and after that click each letter and zoom in and out to get a much better sense of where the towns are and the path to require to get to each.
Highlights of the Romantic Road in Germany
Some towns along the Romantic Road make ideal locations to pick up a fast picture or a bite to consume, while others you can invest hours if not one to 2 days in. The highlights and most popular stops along the Romantic Road are noted simply listed below.
In in between the towns of Wurzburg and Fussen lie the towns on Germany’s Romantic Road. There are 28 towns in overall, some more popular than others however all use something gorgeous to reveal.
Getting To Germany’s Romantic Road
The Romantic Road Germany starts in Wurzburg and ends in Fussen.
To get to the start of the Romantic Road in Germany, make your method to Wurzburg We began our trip by flying into Frankfurt International Airport (FRA), situated a little over an hour far from the start of the Romantic Road.
You can rent a car in Frankfurt to make your method to Wurzburg where you will continue south along Germany’s most popular vacation trip, Romantische Straß. After numerous days of driving and sightseeing (Our Romantic Road Itinerary is 5 days), you’ll reach the end of the Romantic Road in the town of Fussen.
Located a little over 1.5 hours far from Fussen, you’ll discover the busy city of Munich. If you do not wish to backtrack (driving back up the Romantic Road to Frankfurt), Munich is the most hassle-free option to fly out of and in addition to return your rental automobile.
After Fussen, you must not miss out on costs a minimum of a day or 2 checking out Munich, the Capital of Bavaria prior to getting on the aircraft house or to your next European destination We have a whole post and video of things to do in Munich, Germany however some not to miss out on sights in Munich consist of:
- Visiting Marienplatz to see the well-known Glockenspiel
- Explore the gorgeous and huge English Garden (Englischer Garten)
- Enjoy the Bavarian environment of Hofbraeuhaus pub
- Visit the numerous beer gardend and musuems.
- See our complete guide here
Best Time to Visit & & Drive Germany’s Romantic Road?
W hile June– September is considered the very best time to go to Bavaria (Southern Germany), these months are likewise the most popular months for traveler travel. If going to throughout the summertime, it’s suggested to make lodgings appointments well ahead of your go to.
Alternatively, late spring and early-Autumn make terrific shoulder months to go to when travelers are light, and rates are not so high. Take a detour off the Romantic Road to go to neighboring Things to do in Garmisch Partenkirchen, Germany
How Long Does It Take to Drive the Romantic Road?
The time it requires to drive the Romantic Road in Germany is entirely approximately you, however it is our suggestion that you prepare to invest at minimum 4 days driving and checking out sights along the Romantic Road. 4 days offers you sufficient time for the highlights, however if you can, an additional day or 2 on the Romantic Road will enable you some versatility to stop and check out other locations and towns.
If you have less than 4 days, you’ll wish to concentrate on checking out and seeing Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Neuschwanstein Castle, which lies simply beyond Fussen. When driving Germany’s Romantic Road,
Germany’s Romantic Road Itinerary
Day 1– Explore Wurzburg
Wurzburg is among Germany’s greatest white wine producing areas
After you come to the Frankfort airport, get your rental automobile and head into Wurzburg. Wurzburg is a sloping town nestled along the banks of the Main River. Understood for its architecture and as one of Germany’s greatest wine-producing areas, Wurzburg is a great town to begin your trip down the Romantic Road.
- Best Western Premier Hotel Rebstock Once in Wurzburg, you can quickly check out Wurzburg’s town hall baroque and rococo architecture, stroll along the Alte Mainbrücke, which is the city’s pedestrian bridge that uses terrific views of the riverside, Marienberg Fortress, and the city of Wurzburg. In the warmer months, residents of Wurzburg will collect on the bridge as a gathering to overtake pals, listen to music, and share a beverage. Where to Stay in WurzburgTripAdvisor — This extremely ranked 4 star hotel has access to a medical spa, an acclaimed dining establishment, complimentary WiFi and terrific area near the Sankt Kilian Cathedral Booking.com
- Dorint Hotel See rates and accessibility on / TripAdvisor— Located in between the wurzburg and the cathedral Residenz in the heart of Old Town, the Dorint has a medical spa, steam bath and swimming pool, plus dining establishment and complimentary WiFi.
See rates and accessibility on
/ Booking.com Another popular website to see in Wurzburg is the Residence. The Residence is a palace that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. After a day of checking out, consuming, and consuming some local white wine, you’ll be prepared for bed and thrilled for your next stop.
Your GPS will take you the most direct path to the next city, nevertheless, that is not always the Romantic Road path. If you desire to really drive Germany’s Romantic Road, you’ll require to reference the map to guarantee you are passing through the towns that make up the Romantic Road and not taking the highways.
Day 2– Walk the Walled Town of Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber
Less than 2 hours far from Wurzburg is the cobblestone, middle ages walled town of Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber– among the most popular stops and highlights of Germany’s Romantic Road.
Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber is such a lovely town, it practically makes you feel you returned in time. The middle ages architecture together with its half-timbered houses that lie within the walls, gates, and towers of the old town, Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber differs from any other town on the Romantic Road. Spend your time simply walking the old town and taking in the sights of the towers like Klingentor. Strategy to get an image at the Das Plönlein (little square) and go to St. James Church. The very best method to delight in Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber is simply to roam the town and appreciate its charm.
Optional Stop at N örldlingen Optional Stops: On your method to Augsburg, if you have the time and are starving, you can pick up lunch in Nördlingen or Dinkelsbühl. Both
inkelsbühl are popular stops on the Romantic Road with historical walls, churches and middle ages architecture.
Day 3– Meander the Streets of Augsburg
Continuing south on the Romantic Road for 2 hours and 15 minutes, you’ll get in the city of Augsburg. Going back to 15 BC, Augsburg is among Germany’s earliest cities. As quickly as you show up, you’ll see that unlike other stops on Germany’s Romantic Road, Augsburg is among the most attractive. From its water fountains to its churches and homes, you’ll get traces of the banking and mercantile market boom and the wealth that streamed through Augsburg centuries earlier.
While in Augsburg, strategy to check out Augsburg Cathedral and St. Ulrich’s, climb up the 253 actions of the Perlachturm to get views of the city, and stroll down Maximilian Street (or Maximilianstrasse) and admire the old-world architecture.
Day 4– Visit Landsberg am Lech and Wieskirche
After a day in Augsburg, it’s time to relocate to your last area on Germany’s Romantic Road, Fussen. Fussen is a little less than 1.5 hours south of Augsburg. You have a couple of stops to make on your method to Fussen, First, Landsberg am Lech, and 2nd, Wieskirche.
Set on the river Lech, Landsberg am Lech has rows of vibrant houses and structures that encapsulate the city. It’s peaceful and little, making it a best location to have a coffee and roam and cake at one of its walkway coffee shops.
Ornate interior of
Wieskirche After an hour or 2 is invested valuing the imaginative work and charm of Wieskirche, it is time to drive the 30 minutes to reach your last town on the Romantic Road, Fussen.
The charming and neighboring
Where to Stay near the castles
Beautiful Lake Alpsee bei Schwangau
The finest location to make a base to check out the castles remains in the town of Hohenschwangau. There is lots of hotel and dining choices. Recommended hotels are.
- What To Do After Driving Germany’s Romantic Road? After a whirlwind 4 to 5 days driving Germany’s Romantic Road, you really have a couple of choices on where to check out next. You are positioned in among the most gorgeous locations in all of Germany and situated very near the border of Austria.
- Munich: Located a little bit less than 2 hours far from Fussen, you can head into Munich and invest a couple of days checking out the websites of this ever excellent and not to discuss, enjoyable German city. If you require to fly out of Germany and return your rental automobile, Munich is the closest worldwide airport to Fussen.
- Zugspitze: Less than an hour from Fussen you will discover the highest mountain in Germany, Zugspitze. Take the cable television automobile approximately the leading to get amazing views of the surrounding Alps.
- Austria’s Tyrol Region: Explore the incredible towns, lakes and surroundings that comprise Tyrol, Austria’s southern state. Places like Innsbruck, Kirchbiehl and Kufstein are a couple of hours’ drive from Fussen.
The Italian Dolomites:
- If you have the additional days and are wanting to check out Europe even more, about a 5-hour drive away from Fussen, you will discover yourself in Italy at the base of the towering Dolomite mountains. How To Travel Germany’s Romantic Road Check car rental prices from Frankfurt here
- Driving: The finest method to see Germany’s Romantic Road is to drive it. Driving permits you the utmost versatility in your schedule to check out where you desire, when you desire. Deutsche Touring’s Romantic Road Coach Bus
- : Taking a bus is likewise an alternative. uses minimal trips to and from picked towns along the Romantic Road.
- Train: Traveling the Romantic Road by train is likewise achievable, however it is not uncomplicated. There is not one train that takes a trip the whole path of Germany’s Romantic Road. While some towns on the Romantic Road have train stations, others do not have a station or use a connection to the next stop.
Cycling: Cycling is an excellent alternative if you are up for the trip! There are lots of bike paths along the Romantic Road for you to cruise. Once inside the towns and cities, you will not require your car. You’re own 2 feet will be your go-to kind of transport for checking out the towns along the Romantic Road.
If leasing a vehicle,
ensure your lodging uses some sort of parking or has a suggestion on where to park your automobile while you check out.
It’s time to provide yourself a pat on the back as you simply finished Germany’s Romantic Road! If you Enjoyed travelling along the Romantic Road in Germany make sure to pin this short article for future travel preparation,